My private session this morning was a bit of a fall from glory. After ending on such a high yesterday, it was bound to happen.
I wanted to work on maintain gait on-line. At the canter. It wasn't pretty. At least to me. I felt uncoordinated with my tools, my horse was unenthusiastic about my efforts and I felt as if we did a whole lot of something for a whole lot of nothing.
I'm sure that's just my perspective.
In our ground session we did long line driving. My frustration from my private session spilled over into our group session. I was way too hard on Cricket, probably as a reflection of being too hard on myself. Cricket got just a little scared of me. While I'm thrilled to see her access a little of her right brain, I'm not proud about how it happened.
We wrapped up driving and did some liberty. Of course Carol calls on us to do our liberty circle game right as Cricket and I are in this uncertain place in our relationship. It was okay but I could tell Cricket wasn't so sure about it.
As we played at liberty for the session, Cricket tried so hard to please me but I think my confusion made that very hard for her. While I was asking her for a figure 8, she left me and went to the middle of the arena and offered a circle game. By herself, complete with change of direction. Around no one.
Later she went out from my figure 8 and offered a figure 8 on the other side of the arena. By herself, completely alone.
She hooked up with my friend Margenia's horse and they proceeded to take a casual stroll on the wild side. Carol had Genia and I meet up in the middle of the arena and ask them to circle us. It was pretty cool as both mares worked out a circle together. When they hooked onto the game, we disengaged them and they came right up to us.
Our mounted session was better. A review and extension of the previous day. We also introduced some lateral work, building the blocks towards half-pass, side-pass, haunches in and shoulders in. I really struggled with Cricket's bend to the left. I asked Carol about it and she helped me to separate each element and figure out what was confusing Cricket. I'm not sure how long I played with this but I finally started making some progress and called it a day.