Happiness is not a matter of intensity but of balance, order, rhythm and harmony. ~ Thomas Merton

Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Requiescat in Pace, My Beautiful Moose

As I started typing dates into a spreadsheet for work, I was struck by the date on the page. Today is the sixth anniversary of the death of my beloved Moose.

The photo above was taken just a week and a half before I lost him. I had taken the day off to give him a bath and get ready for a local fun show. The weather was a tad too cool so I decided just to hang out with him. I found a spot in a collapsing round bale and just lounged while he ate hay all around me.

Moose was my first horse. He was difficult and he is responsible for bringing me to Parelli. He was with me for only fourteen months. He brought me through Level 1 (back when it was a VHS pack). He loved me in a way no other horse will and I loved him in a way I will never love another horse.

I miss him terribly, at times. I have finally laid to rest the guilt of loving Cricket. I understand that Moose was here for a reason and nothing I have with Cricket would be the same if it weren't for him.

Six years ago I said good-bye to the love of my life. He waits for me across the Rainbow Bridge. It doesn't matter how many other people owned him for I know he belonged to me. Just as a part of me belongs only to him.

No comments: