Happiness is not a matter of intensity but of balance, order, rhythm and harmony. ~ Thomas Merton

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Back from the World Equestrian Games

So I'm back from my weekend at the World Equestrian Games in Lexington.  We didn't see any of the competition - we went for the shopping.  And to soak in the atmosphere.  This is the first time the Games have been on US soil and even if they come back, who's to say they'd be close enough to visit.

The vendors and exhibitors were amazing.  I learned quite a bit and I saw more than I could have imagined.  And I spent more than I had planned.  But oh well . . .

One of my highlights was the opportunity to Ride a Reiner.  Yep, I can honestly say I rode at the World Equestrian Games!  As we were walking around on Saturday, we came past a pen where they had kids on some horses.  At first I thought it was cute that they had pony rides.  Then we found out it was the chance to ride a Reining horse.  Three of us signed up.

When we entered the pen, they asked us how much riding experience we had.  I knew the three of us could ride and the fourth girl was a rider as well.  So after we mounted up, they sort of turned us loose. 

I had a sweet buckskin gelding named Nugget.  At first he was pretty annoyed and swished his tail a lot.  I tried to ride as confidently and securely as I could and soon he settled.  He picked up a little jog and and I eased him back down, thinking we weren't supposed to go above a walk.  But when the other girl rode by at a jog, the announcer said that since this group was more advanced, we'd be doing a little more.

And we did.  After jogging around the arena, the other girl came by at a lope and off we went.  I had a blast.  We walked, jogged and loped around that entire arena.  Both directions, both leads.  It was amazing.

So it begs the question: why can I get on a horse I've never met, wearing the wrong shoes and no helmet and canter like I've done it all my life?  It's worth pondering

2 comments:

Parelli Central said...

Maybe because you expected a Reiner to just lope around - perfectly... I'm amazed though they didn't asked for proper footwear and helmet or at least to sign a release?

Petra Christensen
Parelli 2Star Junior Trainee Instructor
Parelli Central

Lisa said...

Petra - we were required to sign a release and children had to have a parent/guardian. I guess it was our choice to go above a walk . . . It was incredibly fun!

Maybe I should expect Cricket to lope around perfectly . . .