Happiness is not a matter of intensity but of balance, order, rhythm and harmony. ~ Thomas Merton

Wednesday, June 9, 2010

So Much For Horse Time!

Well so much for getting in more horse time. Life, or more accurately work, intervened and the best I've managed is scratches, treats and kisses.

I did ride Bleu early last week. We started with some simple passenger lesson and worked our way up to more leadership. I asked her for some sustained trotting. She wasn't so sure about that and it took lots of repeated requests. Finally, she gave me the trot and maintained it long enough for me to ask her to transition to the halt. I jumped off and called it a day.

I'm trying to balance my time with Cricket. When Bleu first arrived, Cricket would bang on her stall door, demanding my attention. Then she started just watching me. Finally, last week, she just stood -looking entirely too dejected - out in her run. My plan had been to take Bleu for a trail walk but I decided to leave her graze and spend some quality time with my Principessa. I grabbed a brush and curry and called her up and went to town. I tell you, nobody appreciates a good "elbow grease grooming" like my Cricket.

For the last several days it's been little more than a pat and a cookie for either of them. Work has been busy and hectic and I just want to crash at the end of the day. This weekend Wendy Morgan returns for another weekend of lessons. Starting Monday, I want to get Bleu out of the arena and start working with Cricket some more. We'll see how the next set of plans goes . . .

1 comment:

Michelle AKA arabhorselover1 said...

I totally understand work getting in the way...I am here for ya! The necessary activity that allows us to have horses...now to figure out how to juggle both so that you can actually enjoy the horses more! LOL Life...the days are simply to short.

-Michelle/arabhorselover1
http://naturalhorselover.blogspot.com/