Happiness is not a matter of intensity but of balance, order, rhythm and harmony. ~ Thomas Merton

Monday, August 22, 2011

Taking the Next Step

The decision was made to let go of Bleu.  She will be leaving on Tuesday to return to Mobile this coming weekend.  One difficult choice made.

Now onto the next steps.

I've decided to move Cricket from her current facility.

This is another one of those choices that was easier to make than to execute.  I've been at my current boarding barn for five years.  The owners are good friends.  They have been there when I needed them and gone out of their way to accommodate me.

I have come to believe that a dry lot situation is not in the best interest of the overall health of my horse.  My current boarding facility uses dry lots during the day with turnout at night.  It is unreasonable to even ask for the entire operation to be turned upside down at the whim and request of one boarder.

I am going to find a a pasture board situation where I can create an environment that balances Cricket as an easy keeper with her need for constant access to forage.  I've been researching paddock paradise and slow-feeding and I think it's the way to go, especially for Cricket.  It may be a lot of work at first but I feel the health benefits will far outweigh the effort.

I'm also looking at this as an opportunity to develop my skills at managing Cricket for the day I move her to my own place.  It will be like having training wheels!

I am nervous and excited.  I am fortunate that my barn owner is trying to understand and has told me I'm always welcome to come back.  I know I have a safety net and I'm forever grateful for all they have done for me.

No comments: