Happiness is not a matter of intensity but of balance, order, rhythm and harmony. ~ Thomas Merton

Monday, January 3, 2011

Bendy, Bendy, Twisty, Turny

I have a feeling Cricket is out of whack.  Again.  But having just paid for both horses to see the equine dentist, I'm not sure there's anything left for the equine chiropractor.  Unless I sell a kidney.

The last couple of days have been groundwork only.  I've been feeling a bit out of sorts myself so I've taken the opportunity to just have some down time with Cricket and Bleu.

Part of my focus with Cricket has been trying to sort out her left lead canter.  As Becky observed on Tuesday, Cricket is relaxed and correctly arced on her right lead but she tips her nose out and falls on her inside shoulder on the left lead.

I played with some shaping her on the circle and after a few repetitions, she was able to keep herself relatively straight on the circle and transition from the trot to the canter.  I've also started working on some of Karen Rohlf's mobility exercises from her Results in Harmony DVD series.  Basically, just taking Cricket on the circle and then asking her to yield her HQ while maintaining forward motion.

This is definitely outside my comfort zone.  I got frustrated with Cricket yesterday.  I know she was trying but unfortunately she was also trying my patience.  I took a moment to calm down and we started again.  I tried to maintain my posture and to ask her for what I wanted.  I'm not sure I was getting it but it was getting better and I managed to stop on a good note.

I don't think I'll get to play today.  I want to continue our progress but need to honor how my body feels and not push myself.

No comments: