Happiness is not a matter of intensity but of balance, order, rhythm and harmony. ~ Thomas Merton

Monday, January 17, 2011

Commitment


There's a difference between interest and commitment. When you're interested in doing something, you do it only when circumstances permit. When you're committed to something, you accept no excuses, only results. ~Art Turock

The above quote came to me by way of my friend Tina.  It makes me uncomfortable and I cannot get it out of my head.  It's like a splinter in my mind, a thorn of a thought that will not be ignored.

There is a difference between interest and commitment.

I can't shake it.

When you are committed to something, you accept no excuses, only results.

I invest a great deal of time, energy and resources into keeping Cricket and Bleu.  And yet I seem to invent excuses for not spending time with them.  Faced with the cutting reality of the above quote, the reasons for not going to the barn evaporate like mist in the noon-day sun.

Something curious has happened since I first encountered this quote.  It's as if a word jumble, turned on its side, now suddenly spells something quite clear.  Packing my barn clothes in the morning is just part of the routine.  Planning for dinner at night is easier.  My little line of ducks looks less like a squiggly mark and more like a straight line.  How interesting.

I still have a long way to go and I'm sure there will be obstacles.  But I have a sneaking suspicion the manner in which I deal with them will be different.

3 comments:

PeterC said...

Heh, I read that quote as well recently. It is a difficult quote because of where it must lead. If you are committed to something, nothing can stand in the way. Not barn, horse, money, security, and even your spouse.

Can we be committed to horsemanship and not have anything else? What balance can we strike that is not an excuse?

For me, can I make a 180 and change the direction of my life? Or would it be better to earn enough cash doing what I am secure in doing and limiting my commitment to my girls?

Heady thoughts for sure. I wish you the best of luck.

PeterC

Lisa said...

"If you are committed to something, nothing can stand in the way. Not barn, horse, money, security, and even your spouse."

I disagree. Everything is about balance. A commitment to one thing does not require abandonment of everything else. In fact, without balance it becomes a manic, slightly ego-centric process.

I have lots of interests and a few things I'd consider commitments. I keep my commitments in balance and fill-in with interests as time and circumstance permit.

There is a difference between reason and excuse. My job is a reason for not spending all day at the barn; not playing because no one else is there is an excuse.

I like these words rattling around in my head - seems to cut short my internal complaining and whining.

Tina said...

Glad I could help!

For me it just helps explain my horsemanship journey. "Commitment" is just a fancier way of saying "obsessive dedication". ;)