Happiness is not a matter of intensity but of balance, order, rhythm and harmony. ~ Thomas Merton

Friday, July 23, 2010

Goal Setting

It's time to set some goals for my horsemanship journey.  Lately my time is being consumed by a whole lot of nothing and I find everything getting just a little stagnant.  Time to throw open the windows and get some fresh air in here!

In googling "goal setting", I came across the following site: Goal Setting Guide.  The site offers some wonderful stuff from motivation all the way to a multi-step "goal setting course."  I think I'm going to have to spend some time wandering around.

Back to the point.  Goals.  My goal is to set some goals.  Sounds like something a good procrastinator would do!

Since Blogger now has this neat feature to add pages, I'm going to add a GOALS page.  I want to work out monthly goals for both horses and at the end of each month, relfect on my progress and set goals for the coming month.

Some ideas . . .
Cricket
  • teach something brand new using only clicker training
  • gain confidence rasping her feet
Bleu
  • improve freestyle riding
  • work with shimming my saddle for improved fit
That sounds like a good start - something in my horsemanship and something in my horse husbandry.  Cool!

2 comments:

Naturally Gaited said...

Great goals, but perhaps a little big for a "start"? Just my two cents.

Whenever I get stuck, I (endeavor to) make a list of small opportunities for success (S.O.S.) tasks. Little (5-10 minute) nagging things that once finished, make me feel a whole lot better! (Think Flylady at www.flylady.com)

I believe that it has to do with tolerations cluttering up my life If I get rid of a few, I feel empowered.

I usually avoid tackling the bigger tasks head on - I have to sneak myself up on them sideways.. ;-)

Have fun.

Clare

PS - Have you ever heard Flylady's term "procrastoperfectionism"? It is all too familiar to me!!

Lisa said...

I don't know that they are too big - they don't feel too big. I need to refine the statements, though. To make them SMART. We shall see.

Procrastoperfectionism? I can only imagine what that means and it seems like it may describe me to a T!