Happiness is not a matter of intensity but of balance, order, rhythm and harmony. ~ Thomas Merton

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

New Directions

Harmony is bringing together two or more different elements to create something pleasing and balanced. It creates something more than simply the sum of the individual parts.

Out of a harmonious life flows balanced horsemanship. Balanced horsemanship creates harmony between horse and human. In this there is synergy and synchronicity.

Welcome to the new vision and direction of my horsemanship journey. After much deliberation, I have decided it is time for a change. Not simply in the title of my blog but in my horsemanship.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results. ~ Albert Einstein.

I have come to the realization my current journey has been one riddled with insanity. I have been trying to create partnership with Cricket using the same approach, the same techniques and the end result is the same - discord, cacophony, and imbalance.

I plan to continue my Parelli journey with Bleu. I still have my goal of achieving my Level 3. I want to rediscover the joy in playing with Cricket. Somewhere along the way, I’ve lost the spark with my sweet mare and it hurts my heart to see her disinterest.

I am excited about the possibilities. A little afraid, but that’s what happens when you step outside your comfort zone.

2 comments:

Naturally Gaited said...

I understand that you want to give Cricket a break from the direct-line pursuit of progress thru the PNH levels. May I suggest an alternate strategy with her? Clicker training could allow her to view you in a whole new way - as a source of fun rather than pressure.

CT has changed my relationships with my critters and is totally compatible with PNH. And the best thing is that you don't have to buy anything new! (Just make a consistent marker noise with your mouth.)

You may want to check out this post by Emma Kline, a L4 PNH student about her recent CT experiences: http://emmakline.blogspot.com/2010/07/marker-post.html

Here is a link to a free e-booklet about getting started with CT: http://www.theclickercenter.com/2004/guide/index.php

And remember to have FUN! :-)

Clare

Lisa said...

I've actually dabbled with CT, but not consistently. I recently pulled out my clicker for hoof work. Cricket just seems to light up when we do this. I don't think it's the food as much as how smart feels. And maybe how positive I feel.

I have two of Alexandra Kurland's books and Sharon Foley's book. I also have Karen Pryor's foundational work, Don't Shoot the Dog. I have some good friends who combine PNH and CT and I plan to draw on them as resources.

This should be fun!